Congratulations on choosing the world’s most advanced clear aligner system to straighten your teeth and perfect your smile. Just like any dental appliance, your Invisalign aligners need cleaning to prevent them from becoming a breeding ground for harmful oral bacteria. Here is all you need to know about caring for your virtually invisible aligner trays to keep them in tip-top shape.
The Importance of Cleaning Your Invisalign Aligners
Invisalign’s virtually invisible aligners offer a quick, discreet solution to straighten your teeth and correct bite problems. Unlike traditional metal braces, they are removable, making them a convenient choice for many adults and teens.
Even though you will swap your aligners for the next in the series every couple of weeks, you still need to keep them clean. Otherwise, you will have unhygienic, smelly aligner trays that provide harmful oral bacteria the warm and moist environment they need to flourish.
How Should You Keep Your Invisalign Aligners Clean?
Here are some Invisalign aligner cleaning tips:
- Rinse your aligners when you take them out: Make sure to rinse your aligners with warm water every time you take them out of your mouth. That will help flush away any saliva or bacteria that accumulate.
- Brush your aligners twice daily: You will need to brush your aligners every morning and evening to prevent plaque and bacteria buildup. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and mild cleanser or Invisalign cleaning crystals to keep your aligners clean and fresh.
- Use a denture cleanser: Another option for cleaning your aligners is soaking them in a denture cleaner, or one part distilled white vinegar with three parts lukewarm water. Either option will help remove bacteria and surface stains, leaving your aligners clean and fresh without damaging them.
- Keep your mouth clean: It’s essential to maintain good oral hygiene habits while wearing your Invisalign Aligners. Make sure to brush and floss your teeth regularly and clean your mouth after every meal before popping your aligners back in.
- Store your aligners in their case: When not wearing your aligners, make sure to keep them in their case to protect them from bacteria and damage. It’s also important to keep the case clean to prevent bacteria accumulation.
Things to Avoid:
- Don’t use regular toothpaste: Although toothpaste is great for brushing your teeth, it contains abrasives that may scratch the surfaces of your aligners. Instead, use mild liquid soap, denture cleanser, or Invisalign cleaning crystals.
- Steer away from hot water: Invisalign’s clear aligners are made from a thermoplastic material that may warp when exposed to hot temperatures. That’s why it is important to use lukewarm water instead of hot water to clean your aligner trays.
- Do not eat or drink while wearing your aligners: Avoid eating or drinking anything other than water while wearing your aligners. Otherwise, you risk getting food particles and bacteria trapped in your aligners, increasing the risk of tooth discoloration, bad breath, tooth decay, and other problems.
Invisalign Clear Aligners Near Me
Visit Dr. Rick’s Dental practice in Scottsdale, AZ, to learn more about caring for your Invisalign clear aligners. Dr. Rick and his team are happy to offer tips to ensure you maintain your oral health while transforming your smile. Call us at 480-585-4244 to schedule your appointment or request one online today!