Are you fearful and anxious about stepping into a dentist’s office? If so, you are not alone. Many people fear getting the dentist so much that they’d rather endure severe tooth pain. Dr. Rick Dentistry offers sedation dentistry options to help you relax in the dentist’s chair. We strive to deliver the exceptional, stress-free dental care you deserve!
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry, often referred to as sleep dentistry, is the practice of using sedative medication to provide dental care in a calm and relaxed environment. It is a game changer for patients with dental phobia or anxiety, allowing them to get their needed care without fear or stress. Regardless of the type of sedation you opt for, we typically administer a local anesthetic to ensure you enjoy relaxed, pain-free dental care.
Here is a look at our sedation dentistry options:
Nitrous Oxide Sedation: The mild inhaled sedative, also known as laughing gas, offers a safe and effective way to reduce fear and anxiety during dental procedures. It involves breathing a mixture of nitrous oxide and oxygen through a mask on your nose. You’ll feel relaxed but should remain awake and responsive. Once we remove your mask, the nitrous oxide effects will wear off, allowing you to drive home and get on with your daily activities.
Oral Sedation: Oral conscious sedation involves taking an oral sedative before your dental appointment. The sedation level can range from minimal to moderate, depending on your dose of medication. You should feel calm, relaxed, and sleepy but will be awake and able to follow directions. You will likely remember very little, if any, of your time under sedation. The effects of oral sedation take some time to resolve, so you’ll need a trusted adult to accompany you and drive you home.
IV sedation: IV sedation involves administering a sedative drug intravenously for fast-acting effects. You’ll be continually monitored by an experienced dental anesthesiologist for your safety. IV sedation allows you to experience relaxed, pain-free dentistry, and you’ll have little or no memory of your procedure. It’s important to have a trusted adult accompany you home and stay with you until the effects of IV sedation wear off.
What Are the Benefits of Sedation Dentistry?
Here’s a look at some of the benefits of sedation dentistry:
- No More Anxiety or Fear: Sedation dentistry helps you relax and feel calm during your dental visit. If you’re anxious about dental treatments, the sedative will take the edge off your time with us and make you feel more at ease.
- Painless Dental Procedures: With sedation dentistry, coupled with local anesthetics, you won’t feel much, if any, pain during your treatment. This is especially helpful for more involved procedures, such as root canals or tooth extractions.
- Time Flies By: Sedation can make it feel like your dental appointment is over in a flash! You might even feel like you took a quick nap, and before you know it, your dental work is complete.
- Fewer Visits, More Work Done: Since you’ll be relaxed and comfortable, your dentist can often complete more dental work in a single visit. This means fewer trips to the dentist and more efficient treatment.
- Helps with Gag Reflex: Some people have a sensitive gag reflex, making dental procedures tricky. Sedation can help reduce this reflex, making it easier for your dentist to work on your teeth.
- Blurry Memories: Sedatives can create a temporary memory loss effect, so you might not remember all the details of your dental procedure. That can be a relief for those who fear the dentist.
- Builds Positive Dental Associations: When dental visits are pleasant and stress-free, you’re more likely to have a positive view of future dental care. That can lead to regular check-ups and better oral health habits, keeping your smile bright and healthy!
Sedation Dentistry Near Me
Visit Dr. Rick’s dental practice in Scottsdale, AZ, for more information about our sedation dentistry options. Dr. Rick and his exceptional team are committed to providing quality care in a safe and relaxed environment. Don’t let fear of the dentist stop you from maintaining a healthy, beautiful smile. Call us at 480-585-4244 to schedule your appointment, or request one online today!