When searching for a dental practice to care for your smile, you may have come across two terms: general dentist and cosmetic dentist. Understanding the differences between the two will help you determine the type of dental practice right for your oral health needs and goals.
General vs. Cosmetic Dentistry
General dentists are dedicated to maintaining healthy teeth and gums. They focus on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of dental problems. Examples of preventive and restorative dentistry services general dentists offer include routine dental exams, professional cleanings, tooth fillings, and dental extractions. Some general dentists offer cosmetic dentistry treatments like teeth whitening.
When it comes to cosmetic dentistry, the focus is on enhancing a smile’s aesthetics by improving the color, size, shape, position, alignment, or overall appearance of your teeth. Interestingly, all dentists are general dentists to begin with. Other focuses, including cosmetic dentistry, require additional training after dental school. Cosmetic dentists, like our very own Dr. Rick, have extensive training and expertise in providing both general and cosmetic dentistry procedures.
What Services Does Dr. Rick Dentistry Offer?
Cosmetic Dentistry Options: Voted best Cosmetic Dentist in 2022 by Modern Luxury Scottsdale Magazine, Dr. Rick continues to provide state-of-the-art cosmetic dental services, creating Scottsdale’s healthiest and most beautiful smiles.
- Teeth Whitening: Teeth whitening is a quick and easy way to transform your smile. Our safe and effective teeth whitening treatments virtually erase tooth staining and discoloration, leaving you with a smile several shades brighter in just one office visit.
- Porcelain Veneers: Dr. Rick places ultra-thin porcelain shells on the fronts of teeth to improve their shape, color, size, and overall appearance. From chipped to broken, worn, crooked, gapped, misshapen, or otherwise not-so-perfect teeth, dental veneers will transform your smile with beautifully natural results.
- Porcelain Crowns: Porcelain crowns cap weak or damaged teeth, restoring their health and appearance. They also offer a cosmetic dentistry solution, enhancing the shape, size, color, length, and alignment of your teeth with seamless results.
- Invisalign: We proudly offer Invisalign, the world’s leading clear aligner system. The virtually invisible alternative to metal braces provides a discreet and convenient orthodontic solution to straighten your teeth and perfect your smile.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants are the gold standard for replacing missing teeth. They provide an incredibly stable foundation to support implant crowns, bridges, and overdentures, enhancing your smile and quality of life.
General Dentistry Services: Even though Dr. Rick places emphasis on cosmetic dentistry, he believes that the foundation for a beautiful smile is a healthy smile. He is pleased to offer general dentistry services focused on the prevention and early detection of dental disease to keep you smiling your best for years to come.
- Dental Exams: Routine dental exams include a thorough evaluation of your oral health. Detecting and treating oral health problems as they develop helps prevent minor issues from progressing and requiring extensive treatments in the future.
- Professional Dental Cleanings: Dental cleanings involve removing plaque and tartar buildup, the leading cause of tooth decay and gum disease. Our dental hygienist also polishes your teeth to remove surface stains, leaving your smile whiter and brighter.
- Periodontal Treatment: If we detect signs of periodontal or gum disease, Dr. Rick may recommend a deep cleaning known as scaling and root planing. The procedure involves removing plaque and tartar deposits at and below the gum line and cleaning and smoothing the tooth root surfaces.
- Root Canal Therapy: Root canal treatments save millions of infected or severely damaged teeth each year. It involves removing a tooth’s damaged pulp to alleviate discomfort, eliminate the tooth infection, and restore the tooth to its health and function.
Top Cosmetic Dentist in Scottsdale, AZ
If you’re looking for a practice offering comprehensive smile solutions, contact Dr. Rick Dentistry to schedule a consultation. Dr. Rick, one of Scottsdale’s top dentists, is committed to delivering state-of-the-art dental care with a compassionate touch. We invite you to call 480-585-4244 to schedule your appointment or request one online today!